About this method
The Home Energy Eﬃciency Retroﬁts (HEER) method may be used to calculate energy savings from a range of household and small business energy efficiency upgrades. In this method, the term ‘energy’ may refer to electricity, gas or both.
The method requires a minimum customer co-payment of $30 (excl GST) which cannot be reimbursed.
Calculating energy savings
The HEER method provides a range of low cost and higher cost activities that can be conducted at a property. Eligible activities are listed in Schedules D and E of the ESS Rule.
A site assessment of a home or small business is required to be carried out prior to the upgrade taking place.
Lighting equipment requirements
Lighting equipment installed under the following activities of the HEER Method must be accepted by the Scheme Administrator as meeting the equipment requirements:
- Activity Definition E1 – Replace halogen downlight with a LED luminaire and/or lamp
- Activity Definition E2 – Replace a linear halogen floodlight with a high efficiency lamp
- Activity Definition E3 – Replace parabolic aluminised reflector (PAR) lamp with efficient luminaire and/or lamp
- Activity Definition E5 – Replace T8 or T12 luminaire with a LED luminaire
- Activity Definition E11 – Replace an edison screw or bayonet lamp with an LED lamp for general lighting purposes
- Activity Definition E13 – Replace T5 luminaire with a LED luminaire
Further information on these requirements can be found on the lighting equipment requirements page.
Water heater equipment requirements
Water heater equipment installed under the following activities of the HEER Method must be accepted by the Scheme Administrator as meeting the equipment requirements:
- Activity Definition D17 – Replace an existing electric water heater with an air source heat pump water heater
- Activity Definition D18 – Replace an existing electric water heater with a solar (electric boosted) water heater
- Activity Definition D19 – Replace an existing gas water heater with an air source heat pump water heater
- Activity Definition D20 – Replace an existing gas water heater with a solar (electric boosted) water heater
- Activity Definition D21 – Replace an existing gas water heater with a solar (gas boosted) water heater
Further information on these requirements can be found on the water heater equipment requirements page.
The Energy Savings Scheme of New South Wales
offers residents and small businesses access to the HEER (Home Energy Efficiency Retrofits) Program. The program offers premises across the state of New South Wales access to subsidies on activities that increase the energy-efficiency of a property. These subsidies are available through a certificate-trading scheme. My Energy Group undertakes this trading process on your behalf and includes this monetary value in the subsidised cost of your upgrade
My Energy Group are proud to be an Accredited Certificate Provider in the
HEER scheme of New South Wales.
Like the VEU Program the HEER program requires energy retailers and other partners to meet energy saving targets. The energy retailers can purchase the Energy Saving Certificates that these retrofit upgrades create from Partners, like My Energy Group
So, like the VEU Program, these activities are funded by energy retailers, not tax payers.
For more information on the ESS – the NSW government scheme designed to reduce electricity use for households and organisations
Both the VEU Program and the HEER program are very similar in process, however the HEER Program does require a co-payment of $30 as a minimum for every activity completed.
To maintain our accredited status, we must adhere to the rules and regulations of the scheme. You can find details about the HEER scheme on the ESS website